Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Why am I so Hard on Callers?

It's because what they are doing isn't working!




I had a Club that I built into 10 Squares, and they hired a Traveling Caller to do the dance. Gave me a chance to dance and listen to another Caller and my dancers to hear someone new.



I had made the mistake of making it a strictly Mainstream Club which we were adding Plus Calls every week rather than having Plus Class. And, somehow the Club President failed to tell the caller it was a Mainstream Club. He took off in his Plus Routine and had the whole floor standing looking at him. By the end of the first tip he was ready to call it a night and go home!



I went up and told him it was a Mainstream Club. The next Tip he went into a "One Night Stand" mode! By this time my dancers were ready to go home!



So I go up to the stage again and told the Caller what Plus Calls the dancers knew. With a hand full of Plus Calls he left the dancers not wanting for the dance to end! It doesn't take books of Calls to entertain dancers. And, he had people dancing to the music. Let's face it, he was a great caller, but if you haven't called to a Mainstream Club for Years you lose what you once knew!



After the dance he came up to me and thanked me for the help. Then he said he was going to be back in town in a year and asked if I would call a dance with him. He returned and we had a ball!



Don't lock your Plus Calls in a List that you have to learn everything before you can dance it. Like the old Quarterly Selection, they can be enjoyed learning and dancing them one at a time!

No comments: