Monday, January 14, 2013

It's a Small World!

How many times have we heard that! When we find that someone from far away knows someone we know or maybe is a distant relative, etc.

But, I believe we have crawled into a Small World of our own! It was nothing to know most of the people by sight anyway for up to 30 miles from home! Today we hardly know the person next door!

I'm as bad as the next guy! I used to travel as far away as I could when I wanted to buy something at a farm sale because otherwise I would be bidding against people I know.

I find it weird that these Churches can spring up in a School Cafeteria and find enough people to come to build a New Church while the one on the corner can't find enough members to keep it repaired! I'm afraid it's because they are offering to work, or buy your way into Heaven.

If it isn't then people are looking to find people to do something together! Square Dancing should be growing not declining, but Callers are going to have to entertain people with more imagination and less movements. The need to kill this idea that Plus Movements are some sacred cow that can only be used once people have learned the "BASICS!"

What are the "BASICS" it's not movements! It's Trade, Circulate,Pull By, Turn!

Example: "Square Thru" Pull By, Turn a Quarter IN! Do it again and again until you reach that number and then just Pull By, 1 to 99!

Example: "Swing Thru" Those who can Turn half by the Right. Those who can Turn half by the Left!

Example: "Coordinate" (Don't worry Touch a Quarter to get into it is nothing more than touch right hands with the person you are facing and "TURN" a quarter) Circulate 1 1/2 those who can "TRADE" ends and centers circulate!

Example: " Load the Boat" Ends Circulate, centers Pass Thru (Pull by without hands, just like Weave the Ring is a Right and Left Grand without hands) (Gotcha!) Turn out, Trade, Pass Thru!

They preach you need Basics! I teach Coordinate the first night some times. Or, Load the Boat! Or, Tea Cup Chain! If they know how to do my "Basics" it doesn't take months to learn to Square Dance!

No comments: